Rattan furniture is not only beautiful but it is durable. Even the most intricate Rattan furniture only requires the most basic cleaning and care. The proper cleaning and care of the furniture will ensure that it is preserved naturally in not only its strength, but also its colour.
Rattan furniture has gained much popularity over the last few years partly due to its durability but also for its versatility. You can see some nice examples here. There are a number of ways you can ensure that your Rattan set stays looking good. Here are a few easy steps to follow to ensure your Rattan furniture looks as good as the day you bought it:
- Clean the surface of the furniture regularly. Cleaning the surface of the furniture every month or even every week is the best and most cost-effective way you can protect your Rattan furniture. This is also the best way to ensure that your furniture stay free of damaging dust and dirt particles. To clean your Rattan furniture, simply dilute a little dishwashing detergent in lukewarm water and wipe the furniture down. Wipe away any extra soap with a sponge or soft cloth. Smaller grooves can be easily reached with the use of an old toothbrush.
- To add a longer life to your Rattan furniture, place the pieces in a shaded area when they are not in use. Long-term exposure to the harsh element can destroy the furniture fibres. Alternatively, you can purchase custom-made covers that will protect your furniture when it is not in use.
- Deal with stains to the furniture immediately. Use a diluted mixture of detergent to quickly remove stains as soon as they occur. Wherever possible try to get your Rattan furniture sprayed with scotch guard to prevent staining and damage. Should you discover that the furniture has become damaged to dry, coat the pieces with a light brushing of linseed oil to add lost moisture back into the material.
- To ensure your furniture remains looking good for much longer. Do a thorough clean of your furniture once a year. A proper clean of your Rattan furniture once a year will ensure that the pieces remain dust free and will remove dirt build-up that may have accumulated during the past year, especially during seasonal changes. You thorough clean will involve more water and detergent than your average weekly clean. Once you have completed your clean, dry the wooded areas as quickly as possible. Next, apply a thin layer of lacquer to the furniture.
- Make use of good quality rubber stoppers to prevent your Rattan furniture from moving around should the pieces be placed on wooden flooring. Rattan furniture, which can move around, may be prone to additional damage from excessive wear and tear. These rubber stoppers should be placed on the feet or base of the furniture. If you do notice damage to your Rattan furniture, these need to be dealt with as soon as possible to prevent damage from spreading.